We all know Virtual Private Network (VPN) helps us to make more secure connection to the Internet and our company’s network. Setting up a VPN connection is quite easy in Windows 10, here is how.
How To Setup A VPN Connection In Windows 10
To establish a VPN connection in Windows 10, you can either use Settings app or Control Panel and the former way is mentioned here.
1. Open Settings app and go to Network & Internet > VPN.
2. In right pane, click on Add a VPN connection.
3. Provide the required details and in this way setup the VPN connection.
However, recently while connecting to a VPN connection which was established earlier, we got following error:
A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.
If you’re also facing this problem, the suggestions mentioned below will help you to solve it.
FIX : A Connection To The Remote Computer Could Not Be Established In Windows 10
FIX 1 – General Suggestions
2. Reset IP/TCP stack by following steps mentioned here
3. Reset IP configuration by following steps mentioned here
4. Review your existing settings and allow the network connection in Windows Firewall
5. Temporarily disable third-party software such as anti-virus etc.
FIX 2 – By Changing Network Connection Properties
1. Press + R to open Run, type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
2. In Network Connections window, right click on the VPN connection with which you’re facing issue and select Properties.
3. Next, under the property sheet shown below, switch to Security tab. Then change the Type of VPN to Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) from Automatic.
4. On the same window, select Allow these protocols. Now check Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) and Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2) options. Click OK.
Now retry to connect to the problematic VPN connection and this time it should connect without any issues.
Hope this helps!