In Windows 10, if you’ve installed other Microsoft products, such Office, you can allow or prevent automatic updates for those products. Windows Update can provide updates for these other Microsoft products installed on your system, if you allow.
By this, when your update your system, other Microsoft products installed will be update automatically. This will save your time and keep your machine safe with latest software installed. Here’s how you can configure automatic updates for other products in Windows 10.
How To Allow/Prevent Update For Other Microsoft Products In Windows 10
Method 1 – Via Settings App
1. Right click Start Button or press + X keys and select Settings.
2. In the Settings app, navigate to Update & Security > Windows Update.
3. Now in right pane of Windows Update, click on Advanced options link.
4. Next, set Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows option to On, so that you get updates for other Microsoft products installed on machine.
The setting will be applied immediately. You can now close Settings app.
Let us see how to make this possible via registry manipulation.
Method 2 – Via Registry
Registry Disclaimer: The further steps will involve registry manipulation. Making mistakes while manipulating registry could affect your system adversely. So be careful while editing registry entries and create a System Restore point first.
1. Press + R and put
regedit in Run dialog box to open Registry Editor (if you’re not familiar with Registry Editor, then click here). Click OK.
2. In left pane of Registry Editor window, navigate to following registry key:
3. Now in the right pane of AU registry key, right click in blank space, select New > DWORD Value. Name the newly created registry DWORD (REG_DWORD) as
AllowMUUpdateService. This registry DWORD can be used to allow/prevent updates for other Microsoft products installed in Windows 10. Double click on this registry DWORD to modify its Value data:
4. Finally, set the Value data to 1 and click OK to allow updates for other Microsoft products installed in Windows 10. Close Registry Editor and reboot to make changes effective.