Drag and drop is an awesome functionality available in Windows. It supports moving of objects in a fluid buttery manner. Using drag and drop, you’re too easy to manipulate things. But sometimes, in some scenarios, Windows may go corrupt and you may not be able to use drag and drop. In this article, we’ll talk about the fix to this problem.
There exists two methods, you can fix this. The methods cover the settings stored in Registry Editor and Local Group Policy Editor. We’ve tested this method on Windows 8 but the method is expected to work on Windows 7, Vista as well, because these editions share same registries and policies for drag and drop.
FIX: Unable To Use Drag & Drop In Windows 8/8.1
FIX 1 – Using Registry Editor
Registry Disclaimer: The further steps will involve registry manipulation. Making mistakes while manipulating registry could affect your system adversely. So be careful while editing registry entries and create a System Restore point first.
1. Press + R and put regedit in Run dialog box to open Registry Editor (if you’re not familiar with Registry Editor, then click here). Click OK.
2. Navigate here:
3. In the right pane of this location, if you found Start_EnableDragDrop DWORD there it must have value set to 0. Double click on the same DWORD, change the value to 1.
4. Moving on, additionally we need to configure a different location to handle above stated DWORD‘s. So refer following locations:
5. On the above locations, in the right pane, make sure that DWORD NoChangeStartMenu exists and it have value data equals to 0.
That’s it! Reboot and your problem should be fixed.
FIX 2 – Using Local Group Policy Editor
1. Press + R and put gpedit.msc in Run dialog box to open Local Group Policy Editor. Click OK.
2. Navigate here:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar
3. In the right pane, look for the setting Remove drag-and-drop and context menus on the Start Menu. Double click on it to modify it. You’ll got this:
4. If you’re facing the issues in drag and drop, this policy should show Enabled status. To fix your issue, click on Not Configured or Disabled to restore it to default setting. Click Apply followed by OK.
That’s it! A reboot will cause no further issues concerning drag and drop.