You’re always recommended to install latest Windows Updates available to you. At most of time, the updates installed smoothly. However, at some times, you may have trouble installing updates. In such a case, you’re suggested to Windows Update troubleshooter/diagnostic to find and fix issues with Windows Update, automatically.
However, in some cases, troubleshooter may identify issues but unable to fix them. One such common issue which troubleshooter fails to fix is:
Windows Update Components must be repaired
If you’re also in situation, where troubleshooter is unable to resolve your Windows Update related issue, you need to fix it manually at your end.
You can try below mentioned steps to repair or reset Windows Update components, as suggested by Microsoft.
FIX: ‘Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired’ In Windows 10
FYI: You must create a System Restore point first, before proceeding with below mentioned steps.
1. Right click Start Button or press + X keys and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open Command Prompt as administrator.
2. In administrative or elevated Command Prompt window, type these commands and press Enter key after each:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
When you run
net stop cryptsvc command, you’ll be asked to stop Application Identity service as well (Application Identity service is dependent upon Cryptographic Services). Type Y, when prompted (refer below screenshot).
3. Then execute following commands to reset updates database, reset default security descriptors for update services:
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
4. Moving on, execute following commands now:
cd /d %windir%\system32
Now we need to re-register Windows Update components.
5. To re-register Windows Update components, type below mentioned commands one-by-one and press Enter key after each. You’ll get DllRegisterServer in <component name> succeeded message (refer above screenshot), when these components are registered successfully.
6. Then execute following command:
netsh winsock reset
Close Command Prompt and reboot your system now.
7. After reboot, open administrative Command Prompt (repeat step 1) and type these command followed by Enter key:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
Close Command Prompt. You’ve successfully repaired or reset Windows Update components. The issues you were facing earlier with Windows Update feature must be resolved now.