In Windows 8 / 8.1, you can easily switch in between apps, thanks to app switching and hot corners. By default, Windows follows the policy to switch to most recently used app, when you press + arrow keys. But if you’re not able to switch to recent apps using this policy, something is going wrong on your Windows and you should rectify it.
This article will be helpful for you to get the default behavior of Windows 8 / 8.1 regarding app switching. There exists manual way and registry modification to sort out this issue. So without wasting your time anymore, let us refer to them:
Manual Fix : Can’t Switch To Most Recent Used App
1. If you’re using Windows 8 then press + I, click Change PC Settings, then select General in the left hand pane.
Or if you are using Windows 8.1, then press + I, click Change PC Settings, from navigation pane, navigate PC & Devices -> Corners & edges.
2. In the right pane of above shown screen, you’ll find “When I swipe in from the left edge, switch between my most recent apps” in Windows 8 and “When I swipe in from the left edge, switch between my recent apps instead of showing a list of them” options” in Windows 8.1. If you’re really facing the issue, slider for these options should be towards Off. Just slide it to right (On). Close PC Settings, reboot to get results.
Registry Fix : Can’t Switch To Most Recent Used App
1. Press + R and put regedit in Run dialog box to open Registry Editor (if you’re not familiar with Registry Editor, then click here). Click OK.
2. Navigate here:
3. In the right pane of this location, you’ll find the DWORD BackstackMode having Value data as 1. Double click on it modify:
4. In the above shown box, replace the Value data to 0. Click OK. You may close the Registry Editor now, and reboot to get results.