Recently one of my reader mailed me an issue which he faced on his Windows:
Here is the screenshot of the error which he got:
Windows Firewall can’t change some your settings. Error code 0x80070424
After analyzing the issue, I came to the conclusion that this error occurs when there are issues with Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or Windows Firewall.
Windows Firewall in Windows 8 relies on the following two services. In other words, these are the dependency services for Windows Firewall:
- Base Filtering Engine (BFE)
- Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (MPSDRV)
To fix out the issue, you can try the following methods:
FIX : Windows Firewall Can’t Change Some Of Your Settings (0x80070424)
WAY 1 – Via Services Snap-in
1. Press + R and put services.msc in Run dialog box to open Services.
2. In the Services window, scroll down to look for Windows Firewall. If you’re facing the issue, then the service may be not running or disabled. Double click on it to modify.
3. Now in the following window, click Start if service is not running. Also make sure that Startup type is fixed as Automatic. Click Apply followed by OK.
Now make a reboot and try to restore the recommended settings. It should work now, otherwise try below method.
WAY 2 – Try Resetting Windows Update Components
Since Windows Firewall service is linked up with Windows Update service, so resetting Windows Update components may be helpful. The FIX 2 of following article shows how to do that:
Reset Windows Update Components [FIX 2]
WAY 3 – Using Command Prompt
1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
2. Now run following command one-by-one after pressing Enter after each command.
net start mpsdrv
net start bfe
net start mpssvc
Confirm any box that comes up by clicking OK. The result on the last entry should say that it succeeded. We’re pretty sure that it would be helpful in fixing the issue you’re facing.
Even still if you’re facing the issue, then feel free to share us via comment box!