We all know Virtual Private Network (VPN) helps us to make more secure connection to the Internet and our company’s network. Setting up a VPN connection is quite easy in Windows 10. Please refer our dedicated guide to learn how to setup VPN in Windows:
However, recently while connecting to a VPN connection which was established earlier by following guide linked above, we got following error:
A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.
If you’re also facing this problem, the suggestions mentioned below will help you to solve it.
FIX : A Connection To The Remote Computer Could Not Be Established In Windows 10/8.1/8/7
FIX 1 – General Suggestions
2. Reset IP/TCP stack by following steps mentioned here
3. Reset IP configuration by following steps mentioned here
4. Review your existing settings and allow the network connection in Windows Firewall
5. Temporarily disable third-party software such as anti-virus etc.
FIX 2 – By Changing Network Connection Properties
1. Press + R to open Run, type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
2. In Network Connections window, right click on the VPN connection with which you’re facing issue and select Properties.
3. Next, under the property sheet shown below, switch to Security tab. Then change the Type of VPN to Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) from Automatic.
4. On the same window, select Allow these protocols. Now check Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) and Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2) options. Click OK.
Now retry to connect to the problematic VPN connection and this time it should connect without any issues.
Hope this helps!
Related fix: VPN Not Working In Windows 10.