As we all know Windows operating systems (OS) are shipped with some pre-installed Visual C++ Redistributable Package(s). The latest OS i.e. Windows 10 is shipped with Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. These packages are required to run the Desktop programs/apps created using Visual Studio, and more importantly when your machine doesn’t have Visual Studio installed.
Today, a strange this happened on my Windows 10 Pro system. While configuring some options in Settings app, I suddenly received this error message which is related to Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Here is the complete message:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
Here, clicking OK button doesn’t do anything, not even closing this error message. Also Settings app becomes unresponsive, on the other hand. As you can see in the above screenshot, the error message is only related to Settings app, which is an Universal App and baked into the OS. Hence, it is not possible uninstall this app and then re-install it. However, if you like, you can re-register all apps which will eventually re-register Settings app and see if it solves this issue. Here are the steps for it:
If re-registering didn’t solved this issue, you’ll then need to update or install latest Visual C++ Redistributable Package(s). Here is how:
FIX : This Application Has Requested The Runtime To Terminate It In An Unusual Way In Windows 10
1. Press + E to open File Explorer. In the left pane, click This PC. Now in the ribbon, click Uninstall or change a program.
2. Next, in the Uninstall or change a program screen, from the list of installed programs, look for Visual C++ Redistributable Package(s). Highlight them one-by-one and each time do a right click, select Uninstall. Close the window.
3. Use following links to download latest version of Visual C++ Redistributable Package(s) from Microsoft. Make sure you download an upgraded version as compared to the one you uninstalled above.
4. The download gives you an .exe file on which do a right click and select Run as administrator.
5. This will launch the setup and you’ve to accept license agreement first and then click Install.
After few seconds, you’ll get Setup successful message. Click Close and restart your machine.
After rebooting the machine, the error will no longer appear.
Let us know via your comments, if issue still persists!
Also check: Class not registered error in Windows 10