We all know that Windows activation is of paramount importance for end users. If you didn’t activate your copy of Windows, you won’t be able to enjoy all the features of the operating system you’re running. This post talks about an activation related issue in which you keep receiving Your Windows license will expire soon message.
Under this case, if you check the activation status, it says something like this:
Your Windows license expires on <some date>. Contact your system administrator to get a product key. Error code: 0xC004F074
So if you’re receiving this error message on your system, there might be different reasons for it, such as:
- The main reason for this message to appear is that you’ve volume license installed on the machine. Volume license uses different methods of activation (read more here), the most common of them is Key Management Server (KMS). These licenses are valid only for 180 days or 6 months. When you’re reaching this limit, the error message starts appearing. If this is the case with you, first you need to buy genuine license.
- Another major root cause for the issue is that you installed incorrect edition which is not intended to use for your device. For example, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) shipped your device with Windows 10 Home edition but you installed Windows 10 Pro edition.
- If you upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro edition but your license is not supported for the upgraded edition.
- Mismatch on upgrade edition. For example, Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. While Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro should be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro edition.
Here are the things you can try to solve this issue:
FIX : ‘Your Windows License Will Expire Soon’ For Windows 10
FIX 1 – Using Activation Troubleshooter
If you’re running Windows 10 Version 1607 or later, you can run Activation Troubleshooter to detect the issue and fix it automatically. The Activation Troubleshooter is quite useful, if you’ve previously used the activated copy on same device. Here are the steps to run Activation Troubleshooter:
FIX 2 – Via Manual Reactivation
1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
2. Type slmgr -rearm command and press Enter key. Click OK button on Command completed successfully message. Reboot your machine.
3. After restarting the system, go to Activation pane in Settings app. Click on Change product key button there.
4. Next, enter your licensed unique product key and this should activate the machine and hence eliminate the error.
5. If you face trouble while activating the copy, try activating via phone.
Let us know via your comments, if you still face the issue!