With Windows 10, we have a new feature called Task View. This feature adds a button on taskbar by default, known as Task View button. Clicking this button will show you different programs you’re running on Desktop currently. It also helps you to add another virtual Desktop, if required.
Task View button also show Timeline in Windows 10 V1803 or later, if you’ve enabled it in settings. The Task View button is shown by default on Windows 10.
If you’re a requirement of hiding Task View button, here is how you can do it.
How To Show Or Hide Task View Button In Windows 10
WAY 1 – Via Taskbar Context Menu
1. Right click on the taskbar.
2. On the context menu, uncheck Show Task View button option.
This should immediately hide Task View button on taskbar.
If you want to deploy this setting to your organization and hide Task View button on a number of machines, you can use registry method mentioned below.
WAY 2 – Via Registry
Registry Disclaimer: The further steps will involve registry manipulation. Making mistakes while manipulating registry could affect your system adversely. So be careful while editing registry entries and create a System Restore point first.
1. Press + R and put regedit in Run dialog box to open Registry Editor (if you’re not familiar with Registry Editor, then click here). Click OK.
2. In left pane of Registry Editor window, navigate to following registry key:
3. Now in the right pane of Advanced registry key, you might see ShowTaskViewButton named registry DWORD (REG_DWORD) which is set to 1. This registry DWORD controls visibility of Task View button. As the button is enabled by default, and the DWORD is set to 1. So double click on this registry DWORD to modify its Value data:
4. Finally, set the Value data to 0 in order to hide Task View button and click OK. Close Registry Editor and reboot to make changes effective.
After restarting your machine, you’ll find that Task View button is no longer present on taskbar.
To restore Task View button later, simply set ShowTaskViewButton DWORD to 1 or check Show Task View button option.